Here’s the upstairs. One caveat before I start: not to overstate it, but I hate friggin’ drywall. So you’ll notice most everything is finished with knotty pine tongue and groove from our local saw mill. I love the warmth and ease of working with pine and it’s also the cheapest, and most readily available wood, which is an amazing combination.
To the south is the entrance to boy’s room. There were a lot of super funky angles introduced into the design when I transected the original roof with the new one. To make things even odder, I tilted the ridge of the new roof 10 degrees upwards towards the south, to take advantage of solar gain, and deflect the north winds up and over the house. This gives the upstairs a very unique feel as it literally steps up towards the south in a gradient from cold to warm. I essentially built glorified California style dormers into the existing roof, and finished the joints leaving as much of the existing rafters as I could, which created the oddly shaped cathedrals to either side.
Looking north into Molly’s studio you can see how these angles play themselves out. The shelves are structurally integral to holding the extra snow load created by the roof valleys above. No two rafters are the same length in this design, which is probably why people don’t usually build this way, but since the labor was free I didn’t mind the extra time it took, and I got very good at compound miter cuts. I learned the hard way that good carpenters spend very little time measuring, it’s usually much more effective simply to hold the piece where it needs to be and mark the cut in place. I got the curved windows from that same salvage yard at a super discount. This is the view of our little pond out of the curved window. Molly tries to keep it shoveled for skating.